How to Become a Muslim
HOW DO I CONVERT TO ISLAM?
This is a common question asked by those who have open mindedly studied Islam from its correct sources. Indeed, Islam is a very straightforward and logical religion. It is the only religion on earth that challenges you to contemplate, think and use your logic. God reminds us in the Qur’aan:
“Indeed, in the alternation of the night and the day and [in] what Allah has created in the heavens and the earth are signs for a people who fear Allah.”
What should you do once you are ready to accept Islam? We suggest that you contact us so that we can guide you through the process over the phone. Alternatively, you can do this alone by following the simple steps below. Before that, you should familiarize with the five pillars of Islam and the six articles of Belief. Please have a look at our leaflet section, About Islam.
How to embrace Islam
Every action begins with your intention. Make the intention in your heart to embrace Islam as your faith. It is important that you accept Islam by your own free will. The Qur’aan (2:256) tells us,
“There is no compulsion in religion …”
With clarity of intention, firm faith, and full conviction, say the Testimony of Faith (shahaadah) and its translation:
“Ash-hadu an laa ilaaha illallaah,”
(I bear witness that none deserves to be worshipped except God – Allaah,)
“Wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan rasoolullaah,”
(and I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah).
That’s it! You’re a Muslim now 🙂
* Allaah is the word for God in Arabic.
Your conversion should be based on knowledge, certainty, acceptance, submission, truthfulness, and sincerity. It is not required to have Muslim witnesses to your conversion, but many prefer to have such support. The video below shows an example of how the recitation of shahaadah is done.
An example of the steps to embrace Islam (Ron Carns with Yusuf Estes)
Simple Next Steps After Accepting Islam
- Learn how to pray and practice Islam in your daily life.
- Continue to learn, study, and grow in your new faith. Please contact us for more advice.
- Maintain your existing family relationships to the best of your ability. Some may have difficulty accepting your decision, but at all times try to keep the doors open and be a good example of humility, kindness, and patience.
- Visit the masjid regularly and connect with your brothers and sisters in Islam. Whatever help and/or support you need, please do not hesitate in the least to ask 🙂